Anywho, today has been pretty close to perfect. I woke up at about 4am, despite going to bed at midnite. I set my alarm for 9:45, thinking that I would sleep in and rest up, but I guess jet lag got the best of me. I woke up famished. I was so hungry that I felt a bit nauseous, but the best thing I could do at 4am was chug a few cupfuls of water from the bathroom and try to go back to sleep.
I finally got up and moving at about 9am, and went to a boulangerie (bakery) around the corner from my hotel. The city was all smoky and beautiful in the fog of the morning light. I ate un pain du chocolat while I did a test run to the BU Office, where I will go to check in and begin my program on Tuesday. After that, I headed to le Tour Eiffel.
Well, it looks much more magnificent when taken in outside the confines of a corrupt taxi. I had a field day with photos from all angles and vantage points. My camera has a nifty little flip screen that is perfect for taking self-portraits, and since it was about 9:30am when I arrived, no one was around, so I snuck in a few of myself. Whenever a local passed walking a dog or just strolling with his/her significant other, I’d casually hide my camera—I’m terrified of looking like a tourist. First, I don’t want to annoy the Parisiens and give them an excuse to call me a stupid American. Second, I don’t want to look like easy bait for a pick pocket.
One can only take so many pictures of the Eiffel Tower without going up
Today was so perfect because I absolutely love wandering around the city. I had so much fun by myself that I am worried that I may not want to socialize when my program finally starts. Traveling in groups is so difficult, and requires too much coordination and agreement. I love the freedom to turn a corner at a whim and not be responsible to the rest of the group.
I left the café and finished my aimless wandering, then headed back to the hotel, where a nap that was supposed to be one hour turned into two.
I’ve got one more day to get lost before I have to start being a college student again, so tomorrow I plan to live it up. Or just chill. That’s a very Parisien thing to do, ya know.
:: Peace ::
camille, you tourist.
ReplyDeletehaha...kidding. i would probably do the same thing, but my camera isn't here quite yet. but yes! wandering by yourself is SO MUCH better than wandering around with BU kids. seriously, they're all a bit annoying here....(SHHH) I go off by myself so I won't have to deal with them.
okay. these are the most b-e-a-utiful pictures. boy, if only bu looked like that!!
ReplyDeleteyou keep chugging out that french. silly doormen.
Camille,
ReplyDeleteI'm so proud of you and your accomplishments. What beautiful pictures. I will definately follow your adventure. Uncle Howard and the boys say hello, we love you and miss you