30 January 2009

Dinner in photographs

My friends Trevor and Mark Anthony have become a bit obsessed with elaborate French meals. For the past week, they have made for themselves five and six course meals, complete with three courses of desserts. (Technically, Mark Anthony does the cooking. Trevor eats and does the dishes. Haha.) When I learned of this, I sort of invited myself to their apartment for dinner, and they graciously hosted me.

The courses: First, appetizers and apéritifs.
Toast with tomato sauce and melted chèvre. I don't usually like goat cheese, but these were delicious.


Second course: Cream of mushroom chicken with fresh mushrooms, broccoli, and white rice. That was mmm mmm good.


(Mark Anthony, the happy chef)

The third course was salad, which I neglected to photograph. But y'all know what salad looks like.

Number four: Cheese! (and bread and mangoes)


(Emmental (my favorite), Comté (my second favorite), Roquefort, and Chèvre.)

Finally, dessert!
Part one: chocolate mousse with berries.



Part two: galette de roi! (Galette de roi, or "cake of the king," is a traditional French cake that comes out on the 6th of January and stays around for as long as the bakers decide to make more. Each cake is baked with a fève (a little trinket) inside. Whoever gets the slice with the fève is the king or queen for the day, and has to wear a crown.) I'm sort of obsessed with galette de roi, so MA and Trevor got me a cake for dessert. I got the fève, so I got the crown.


(For some reason, the fève said "Psycho Duck." Strange.)

Finally, Mark Anthony's signature hot chocolate with pain au chocolat, an orange slice, and a chocolate marshmallow bear.



We dipped the pain au chocolat in the hot chocolate. It was pretty spectacular. It also has the effect of causing a chocolate-induced food coma. After we finished this last course, we wanted to pass out. Chocolate is definitely a game-stopper.



Dinner took us about three hours to eat. After which, I peeled myself off of the couch and ran to catch the metro home before the grève (strike) started. We got a four day weekend this week because there was a massive strike in Paris of all the public transportation workers, so we couldn't really get to school. Hooray for socialism! And hooray for delicious dinners.

Mark Anthony, Me and my fève and my crown, Trevor.

1 comment:

  1. wow, even after tonight's final "tour de food" dinner, i'm still a bit hungry after reading this! :-P

    ReplyDelete

Like what you read? Leave a comment!